All good things must come to an end. On November 30, QuickBooks Pro Advisors received a message from Intuit Corporation, the manufacturer of QuickBooks. Here are the highlights of their announcement:
“Today we’re announcing important changes to Intuit QuickBooks Desktop that may impact your clients.
“After July 31, 2024, Intuit will no longer sell new subscriptions of the following Desktop products in the US:
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier Plus
- QuickBooks Desktop Mac Plus
- QuickBooks Desktop Enhanced Payroll
“What is not changing:
- EXISTING Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, Mac Plus, and Enhanced Payroll subscribers can continue to RENEW their subscription after July 31, 2024. We will continue to provide security updates, product updates, and support for existing subscribers.
- All QuickBooks Desktop ENTERPRISE subscriptions (Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond) will CONTINUE to be available for purchase for new subscribers after July 31, 2024. Enterprise Gold, Platinum, and Diamond include integrated payroll.”
Intuit is strongly recommending their current Desktop clients to move to QuickBooks Online (for more info, click here). Nevertheless, we realize that some of our clients may prefer to stay on Desktop at this time.
- If you have one of the old, non-subscription versions of QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, or Mac — in other words, QuickBooks Desktop Versions 2020 or earlier — and wish to remain on Desktop, we recommend you purchase a QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Mac Plus subscription before July 31, 2024.
- If you have Pro Plus or Premier Plus and have been considering Desktop Payroll, we recommend you purchase a QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll subscription before July 31, 2024, or upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise Gold, Platinum, or Diamond, which include integrated Payroll and can be purchased after July 31, 2024. Alternatively, QuickBooks Online Payroll is available to Desktop clients and is a standalone full-service payroll solution that also offers HR support, Health and 401K benefits.
We also recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of the software before July 31, 2024. QuickBooks Desktop 2024 includes the latest features and security updates. If your clients are on an active QuickBooks Desktop Plus subscription, they have access to QuickBooks Desktop 2024 with no additional charge and simply have to install the update.
In February 2024, Intuit will formally notify all QuickBooks Desktop customers of these changes. We are telling you this now in order to give you up to 6 months to purchase a Desktop accounting or payroll subscription IF you want to remain on the Desktop platform.
Our QuickBooks team member, Dana Riel, can be contacted if you wish to learn more about this announcement. You may also contact us at [email protected] or call us to discuss options
Dana Riel is President and Founder of Business Solutions, Inc., serving the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area since 1985. Her firm is the authorized training center for the region for Time Matters and PCLaw by PCLaw|Time Matters, PLLC; Timeslips and Sage 50 Accounting by Sage Software; and QuickBooks by Intuit Corporation. She also serves as a consultant for Caret Legal (formerly known as Zola Suite), CosmoLex, Soluno & TimeSolv. As a trainer, Dana has provided training services to organizations such as the DOD Defense Logistics Agency, Judge Advocate General’s Office (JAG)/Department of the Navy, University of the District of Columbia School of Law, U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as with small‐ to mid‐size law firms in the Baltimore‐Washington D.C. area. In 2009, she participated in the series of day‐long seminars sponsored by the District of Columbia Bar Association Practice Management Section, titled “Basic Training: Learn About Running a Law Office”. Ms. Riel also served as an Adjunct Professor in Georgetown University’s Paralegal Studies Program, having taught the course, “Legal Ethics/Legal Technology” in 2009; and “Legal Technology” for the Spring and Summer Semesters of 2010. She presently serves on the Advisory Board for PCLaw|Time Matters, PLLC.